Thursday, January 3, 2019

Safe and Secure



The final note of the epistle of Jude (verses 24-25) points believers to Jesus. Jude warned us to watch, charged us to vigilance, cautioned us not to fall, or stumble, the letter concludes with praise to Christ, the One who is able to keep us from falling. Jude’s doxology is an example of God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility. We are responsible to watch, to be diligent, to contend for the faith, but our security is found, not in our hands, but in God’s. We should live as if it all depends on our works, but trust knowing it all depends on God’s grace. It’s the Lord who forgives our sins (I John 1:8-9). He keeps us by graciously giving us faith in Him. God gives us a hatred of sin, and leads us not into temptation, but in paths of righteousness. Because the Christian abides in Christ, we have security in Christ, knowing that he will keep us from falling away forever.  In Philippians 1:6, Paul was confident God would carry out what He started and not leave the work unfinished. Jesus does not begin a work of salvation and then abandoned it halfway.  Some are plagued by the fear of losing this precious gift of salvation. Seeing our sin, meditating on the Holiness of God, fearful of God’s judgment makes one sense their great failures. Truly, our sin is great, and our failures are great, but our Saviour is greater, and there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). God is able to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,”

Christ will present us faultless  before the Father in love. I have sinned. I still sin. I’m not perfect and certainly not faultless. But I’m not saved by my works. I’m not saved by my righteousness. My sins are forgiven. My debt is paid. I received a pardon, all by the finished work of Jesus Christ. I’ve been washed clean of my sin, justified by God, and the pure and perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ is imputed to my account and with “exceeding joy” Christ will present me as a trophy of His grace. That great day, the homecoming of His people and the gathering of the family of God.

Our hope rests on the power of Christ. He is the Rock upon which we stand, the anchor of our soul, strong and immovable and impenetrable stronghold. W serve the “only wise God our Saviour” who ordained  the great plan of redemption and made the way for my salvation, with no loophole, no unthought of contingency, who ordained my salvation before the world began –  to this God, be glory and honor, and worship. To him, all “majesty ascribe”.  To him, all dominion, power, might, and authority belongs, both now and ever. Eternal praise to Jesus the captain of our Salvation, now and forever. The Eternal Son provides eternal life and the saints of God will glorify and praise Him for evermore.


No comments: