Tuesday, October 29, 2019

I am Persuaded



If you grew up with a hymn-book similar to mine, you are familiar with 2 Timothy 1:12, “For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” I sang this song so much as a young man, when I read this verse, I usually say, “I know whom I have be-lie-ved…” playing pronunciation gymnastics to make it fit the tune. But what a glorious verse and no wonder the hymn writer, Daniel Whittle took up this theme. 

I know whom I have believed. Paul suffered for the gospel because he knew whom he believed. Not “what” he believed, but in “whom”. The object of the believer’s faith is the person of Jesus Christ. Paul knew him. He knew him savingly. He knows Christ is faithful. He knows Jesus is true. He knows the Lord is wise. He knows Jesus saves to the uttermost.

Because our faith is in the perfect person of Jesus Christ, I am persuaded he is good to his word. Faith includes not only belief but assent to that belief. Knowing Jesus lived and died is a historical fact. But you also must have affiance to the truth. It's having confidence and being persuaded with the truth. Many know Jesus died and rose from the dead, but don't care. A person persuaded that Christ is able to save is one who repents, humbles themselves before God, obeys the Lord, and loves Him with all of their heart. A persuaded person acts on their true faith and is persuaded of the facts.

Since Paul knows Christ, he know Jesus can keep his soul which he has committed to him unto the last day. Paul’s soul is anchored to the Rock. Christ is able to do what he promised. Jesus is able to save, to cleanse from sin, to keep unto the last day, to raise up this mortal body and change it to a glorified body.  The Lord Jesus is able to do all that he promised, so he is trustworthy to believe in and follow after.

When facing persecution, hardships, tribulations, and struggles in serving Christ, the Christian can press on in faith, knowing the Lord will not forsake him. He can live under the reproach of man and not be ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is Christ’s gospel, and he is able. Samuel Rutherford, whose faith persuaded him to be banished and imprisoned for Christ said, “Forward then, dear brother, and lose not your grips. Hold fast the truth for the world sells not one dram-weight of God’s truth, especially now when most men measure truth by time, like young seamen setting their compass by a cloud…" If you know Christ, your faith is in one stronger than you, able to save, true to His word, and faithful to keep his promises.


No comments: