Friday, July 31, 2020

Ignatius of Loyola

Today is the Catholic feast day of Ignatius of Loyola. He's the founder of the Jesuits. Looking through some articles about the feast, I saw this picture from St. Nicholas Church. That's Ingatius, the founder of the Jesuits with his foot on Martin Luther. Not what you would expect in Saint Nick's place? In my attempt to verify, I found it hard to find any information on this piece. If you go to the the Wikipedia page and look on the interior picture, to the left of the altar, you can see it. 



2 Timothy 2:24-26  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Or, stab them in the neck with a pitch fork. Either way. 

This is why I like statutes. I like to know where everyone stands. As a Baptist, I like to know who Saint Nichols was and what his followers think about justification by faith. I also like to know how they honor the founder of the Jesuits

Speaking of wolves, here's the family crest of Loyola. It's supposed to represent generosity. The family was so generous in feeding soldiers, after the men ate, there was enough for the wolves, OK, I guess? I'm no heraldist, but if I was going to depict generosity and love, I don't think I would use ravenous wolves around a pot as the symbol. It's now part of the symbol for many Jesuit schools and institutions. Which, it's a little too on the nose, don't you think? 



No comments: