Monday, October 6, 2014

Monday Verse: Young Kentucky



Jesse Stuart lived and wrote in Greenup County, Kentucky - the place where I was raised and lived for the first 30 years of my life. From the time I was a young elementary school student and learned about him, I wanted to be a writer. I’ll write more about Jesse Stuart one day, but I was thinking about the poetry and stories of the hills when I was at the Buffalo Valley Baptist Church Bible Conference last week. I had a great time, the church and her pastor did a great job hosting (as usual). I was blessed to preach twice and enjoyed hearing the preaching of the Word.

So first, a portion of a poem by Jesse Stuart, then some pictures of wild and wonderful West Virginia.

Young Kentucky

by Jesse Stuart

The winter birds are roosting in the fodder,
I hear them twitter when I pass at night;
I hear September winds in low-lipped laughter
Combing the gray corn-stalks in white moonlight.
I see old stubble fields and fresh green weeds
Beneath old ferns and leaves and blades of fodder.
I see the timid rabbit coming out to feed
And then I see his playful mate come after.
I hear the long notes of the hunter's horn
Sound over silent hills in white moonlight -
It is not music like the wind in corn,
The notes are coarser than the warring fife.
And I have picked a solitary star
Above the pine-cone fire where the hunters are.

I hate to leave springtime among the hills
Of dark Kentucky and her solitudes
I love her blood-root and her daffodils,
I love fern-shaded water in beech woods,
And midnight singing of the whippoorwill,
And thin-piped music from the leave swamp-frogs.
I love dark silence on a wooded hill
And mushrooms grown on old rotted logs.

Preachers at the conference
Elk River



Long way up to Buffalo "Valley"
Gauley Bridge, WV



No comments: