Thursday, June 4, 2015

So much for resolutions

In the book  John Adams by David McCullough, we have an interesting journal entry from a young John Adams. I think we can all identify with a willing spirit and a weak flesh.

"He vowed to read more seriously. He vowed to quit chewing tobacco. On July 21st 1756 he wrote' I am resolved to rise with the sun and study Scriptures on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings, and to study some Latin author the other three mornings. Noons and nights, I intend to read English authors. I will rouse up my mind and fix my attention. I will stand collected within myself and think upon what I read and what I see. I will strive with all my soul to be something more than persons who have had less advantages than myself.' 
But, the next morning he slept until 7, and a one line entry [in his journal] the following week read 'A very rainy day. Dreamed away the time.'
I think he turned out alright. You could do worse than being President of the United States.

No comments: