Friday, May 20, 2016

The Bible is Innerrant and Infallible


The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple, Psalm 19:7.

In an age of lies and deceit, it is refreshing to renew my mind in something that is perfect and sure. The Bible is that solid ground where we can know what is right and be confident to find the unadulterated truth. The Bible is inerrant which means it is without error. Everything in God's Word is true because it was spoken by God, who cannot lie. Whether it be doctrine, history, or prophesy, the Bible is without error. It is perfect in application and sure in its promises. God is Holy, perfect, and true and so is His Word. God is unchanging, and so are His promises.

Because God’s Word is inerrant, it is a sure guide for our life. Our feelings can change through the day. Our gut instincts can be wrong. Family can give us terrible advise. But the Bible will never lead us into error because it is not only without error, it is also infallible.

Infallible means not capable of being wrong, which is a stronger word than inerrant because the Bible is true, and it will never fail. No future scientific discovery will ever overthrow the Bible. Jesus said that Heaven and Earth would pass away before the Word of God. NASA is going to pass away. Charles Darwin already has passed away. College campuses will pass away. I used to work for Oxford University Press and we sold new text books every year because the old books were already outdated. God’s Word will not pass away.

I've lived long enough that science has told me that the eggs I eat for breakfast would kill me, but now, I'm told that they are good for me. I've been told the Earth will be destroyed in an ice age, but now they say the earth is going to burn up in global warming. Coffee was bad for me once upon a time, but now science tells me it can be good for me. I think I'll stick to God's Word and thank Him every morning over a cup of hot coffee, some eggs and a couple slices of bacon (I Timothy 4:3-5).

God’s Word is not able to be wrong, since it is spoken by an eternal, omniscient God. We can trust God's promises of salvation by grace, through faith, in the finished work of Christ. The Bible's teaching about damnation and eternal judgment are true and sure. Every word of God is true and will not be changed, updated, or found to be incorrect. You can trust God's Word in your marriage, in raising your family, at work, at play. You will never be disappointed by following God because God will never lead you astray. Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words. Rejoice in the purity of truth.



2 comments:

David said...

Those are some proud and bold claims there ..... do you have any evidence that they are true?
How did you go about determining that there are no errors?


doug4 said...

Unlike you, I've read and studied it.