Sunday, June 14, 2009

Enough Misery

I always think there is quite enough misery in the world without my making any more.---C.H. Spurgeon

I used to work for one of the big cell phone companies, providing over the phone technical support. We were encouraged to put a quote at the end of our email, along with our signature. Mr. Spurgeon provided mine for a while. It was sort of an inside joke, because in technical support, the only customers I spoke to were the ones whose phone was NOT working, and had already been on the phone for 30 minutes talking to customer service before they got to me. There was quite enough misery in my work day without adding more to it. But that is what sin does to our lives. Sin hinders joy and creates misery. There are pleasures of sin, for a season, but ultimatly it brings more misery.

Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

Some people thrive in misery as they create misery, encourage unhappiness in themselves and others. Everyday there are countless tragedies, crisis, tribulations and sorrows all over the world so why should I create my own? Sin has brought pain and misery and death upon this world and sin causes men to wallow in misery. The scornful, the blasphemer, the scoffer all delight in making more misery for themselves and others. The child of God finds joy in Christ, following Christ and obeying Christ; sin doesn't bring joy, only more misery.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: