Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesdays with Timothy #1


1 Timothy 1:1-2 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope; Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Paul was an apostle, not of his calling, or the calling of any other man, but by God. The God that saved Him has called Him and set him as an apostle and it is with this authority he speaks to Timothy. What Paul was writing was not his opinion on the church and the ministry. These were not his methods of church and ministry, but Paul was speaking as an apostle, with apostolic authority. Paul was speaking God's Words. Whatever Paul says to Timothy is God's eternal truth.

Though he spoke with great authority, he also spoke with great affection. Paul loved Timothy. There was no jealousy or an overbearing desire to rule over the younger Timothy, but a desire for nothing but his good and his betterment in the service of Christ. Seasoned pastors and younger men can benefit in copying this relationship. Older men should seek to encourage the next generation in their churches, not to lord over them. Paul looked to Timothy as his own son, and with that I believe we can know that Paul desired Timothy to be the best servant of Christ possible. He wanted him to be faithful and ever gaining in progress. In my ministry, there have been several older men who have come along side me and encouraged me and helped me and I can say that I believe that they wanted nothing but my good. I have the unique position of being both a pastor and the son of a pastor, and I know that my Dad wants nothing but the best for me. When I was still at his church (and when I left to pastor another church) he offered me advice and instructive criticism. Why? Because he loved me and wanted to see me faithful in the ministry. I think that Paul, in this spiritual relationship, had love for Timothy in a very similar fashion.

Younger men (in the faith, not necessarily in age) ought to be humble enough to receive instruction and criticism. Young preachers, and younger pastors should find men that will be honest with them, be their friend, and help them in the work of the Lord. At the same time understand that there are no more apostles. I'll take the advice of men who have been at this for longer than I. I'll take advice from men who haven't. But I count it advice and compare it to the Word of God. I take Paul's instruction to Timothy as instruction to me.

In turn, this book is for pastors. Does this mean that only pastors can benefit from the book? Of course not - but we need to recognize who this was written for and why. If passages of scripture or posts in this series do not apply to you because you are not a pastor, use this as a way to pray for your pastor. Read this not to find fault with your pastor, but know how to encourage him and how to pray for him.

With that, ends our first Tuesday with Timothy, some devotional thoughts on the pastoral epistles. 

No comments: