Thursday, September 25, 2014

Wisdom Laughs

Proverbs 1:26-29  I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;  (27)  When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.  (28)  Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:  (29)  For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

When Wisdom laughs, she doesn’t seem very nice. But where in the Bible does it say we are supposed to be nice? What is it to be nice? Who decides what is and what is nice? Nice is to not ruffle feathers. Nice is to never cause a stir. Nice is to be politically correct. Nice is to follow the social rules of society. Where are we called to be nice?

We are commanded to be loving.
We are commanded to be kind.
We are commanded to be tenderhearted.

We are not told to be nice. Wisdom laughed, and she wasn’t very nice - but she was very loving. She was very kind. She was very tenderhearted. Lady Wisdom had done all she could. She had pleaded. She had warned. If she speaks in the language of the KJV, she beseeched and besought. Why don’t we ever complain about what the sinner does to Lady Wisdom? They laughed first. They ignored her. They hated her. They mocked her. WE mocked her.


Proverbs 1:20-25  Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:  (21)  She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,  (22)  How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?  (23)  Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.  (24)  Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;  (25)  But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

When we ignore the warnings of Lady Wisdom and when we are neck deep in trouble, it is then we look to Wisdom and seek her help and advice. When the whole thing is over, and when we’ve reaped what we have sown, we can lift our head out of our hands and share a meaningful glance and say “Hindsight's 20/20 - if we had only known.”

Hindsight is 20/20. But so is wisdom. Wisdom tells you the bridge is out and to turn around. Hindsight realizes the bridge really was out and sign was correct, and meditates on that reality while waiting for the wrecker to pull your car out of the creek. That is why the sage is seen as prophet-like. Not because he can actually peer into the future, but because he knows that Lady Wisdom is a sure guide. Wisdom is able to perceive what is going to happen because we live in God’s world.

Don’t laugh at Lady Wisdom, or one day, she will laugh at you.

No comments: