Monday, March 5, 2012

BH Carroll on Gnosticism


"Gnosticism is derived from the Greek word gnosis, which means "knowledge, like "agnosticism," which means ignorance, not knowing. We get some conception of Gnosticism from mystical dreamers. We occasionally meet them in the present time. They are very confident of everything saying "I know, I know, I know." "How do you know?" "Well, I just feel that it is so." "Can you prove it from the Bible?" "The Spirit moves men now as well as he did in the Bible days." So he goes on Spirit knowledge, as he calls it, and places what he says above what is written.
I believe the Word of God is more reliable than any mystic philosophy, and if a modern mystics wants me to accept his vagaries, let him give the sings of an apostle. Let him by miracle accredit his inspiration. Let him raise the dead and perform other miracles, and then I will be ready to accept what he says, provided it harmonized with God's written Word."

No comments: