Friday, January 22, 2016

Stonewall Jackson


My family was traveling up towards D.C. when we lived in North Carolina and on the way up I saw a sign that said something about Stonewall Jackson. I made it a point to stop on the way home and we were excited to find that we had come upon the house where Stonewall Jackson died.

I like the history of the Civil War and have visited many historical sites, but I think this site may be my favorite. The Park employees were, not only very knowledgeable, but were quite enthusiastic in showing us around and telling us the story of his death and all the strange events that surrounded it.




Here I am, not exactly standing like a 'stone wall'. 

This is the bed that General Jackson died in. The blanket at the foot of the bed also was the same blanket that covered him.











The clock on the wall also was original. The daughter of the home was 11 years old when Stonewall died. She held on to the bed, the blanket, and the clock for over 70 years. She eventually donated them to the National Park service, and came into the home and arranged the furniture exactly how she remembered it when Stonewall passed away.












No comments: