Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thanksgiving in Heaven


Revelation 11:17-18, tells us about a Thanksgiving service in Heaven. While there is no turkey, dressing, and sweet potato pie, there is actual thanksgiving. Revelation 11:15-19 is a prophesy of the seventh trumpet, a judgment upon the earth just prior to the return of the Lord Jesus Christ to the Earth, where He will rule and reign as King of King's.

We don’t have a whole lot of detail as to what we will do in Heaven, but what we know might not sound appealing to most. Singing praises to Jesus (Revelation 5:9;15:3) shouting praises for His mercy (Revelation 7:9-12) and serving Him forever (Revelation 7:15). I would think a heart suited for Heaven would look for Heavenly activities on Earth. Do you expect to love worshiping Christ then, if you won't do it now?

The thanksgiving in Heaven is directed to the Lord God Almighty. There has been a lot to say about canceling Thanksgiving, but not much said about being thankful. We, as a nation, must be the most ungrateful people on Earth. Of all the foolish things that go on, the one thing, especially now, that should not be "canceled" is Thanksgiving. You don't need a turkey or ham to be grateful. But you do need a renewed heart and love for the Giver. But, we'll be thankful Thursday, and hoard toilet paper again on Friday.

The text gives us a few particular things to be thankful for – the Lord reigns, He will judge the earth, and will reward his people. Would you ever think to be thankful for that list? One day, the people of God will gather round the throne and lift up their voices in thanksgiving to the Lord God, who is, was, and always will be, to praise Him for His sovereign ruler over the world. We should be thankful that God is in control. Thanksgiving will be given to God for rewarding the saints. How do you get to be a saint? Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and fear His name. Thanksgiving to the Almighty will sound through Glory, for judging the wicked. This might not sound very Christ-like to you, if you don't think Biblically, but God's judgment of the wicked brings honor and glory to His holiness and His justice.

When I think about praising God, for judging the wicked, an immediate thought comes to mind – my sins. I know I should be and have every right to be numbered with the wicked. I have sinned and come short of God's glory and justice doesn't measure good and evil in the balance to see which side comes out on top. But when I read of God's judgment of the wicked, my mind returns guilt and how I deserve judgment. Then, I go to the cross, where my blessed Saviour took my place and died in my stead, taking away my sin and now rejoice that there is no condemnation for me in Christ Jesus. And that makes me thankful.

No comments: