Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Risky Business

I recently had a minor surgical procedure (minor to the doctor, but not so minor from my perspective). My doctor told me it was quick and easy, but said anytime you have surgery there are risks. He proceeded to do an impression of  a drug commercial, telling all the possible side effects and things that could go wrong – complications with anesthesia, infections, heart issues, stroke, blood clots and probably more, but I zoned out. After agreeing that I should have the surgery, he scheduled the pre-op tests. I had the blood work and the EKG to make sure the ticker was up to it and look for other possible maladies.  And, of course, the COVID test  I went to the drive through, got, what I can only assume was the ramrod from a black powder rifle shoved up the nostril then I was warned of the danger of COVID and possible outcomes if I contracted the virus.

The surgery went off without a hitch. On the way home we stopped to pick up my medicine (complete with warnings of possible side effects). The traffic was heavy and we had to cross both lanes.  It's a wonder how the traffic often seems to be synchronized as to never let people join them on the road. We saw an opportunity, only three cars coming our way and the other lanes were clear. But, to our disappointment, one member of the trio was out for a leisurely jaunt and their lack of urgency caused us to miss our chance. Not wanting to set up camp at Walgreens and stay the night, we waited until it passed, and quickly pulled out in the median. I saw a box truck and a semi rolling down the road and got in behind them. Finally, on the road. We turned the curve, and saw a wreck. The driver of the semi jumped out to take a picture of the scene. The box truck collided with a car that pulled out into traffic seconds before.

 

After all the tests, and warnings about the surgery, the prayers made on my behalf for the surgery, I could have been killed in a car wreck on the way home. That, I hadn't considered. The doctors told me about all the risks from the surgery, but not all the risks. There are always risks and dangers (James 4:13-15). On the other hand, God is sovereign and has set my time of death just as sure as He has appointed the time of my birth. That's not making light of dangers or ignoring my responsibility and casting aside common sense. But it's looking at things as they really are. God is sovereign and He rules this world from the smallest germ to the traffic in West Virginia. How few people think about what happens AFTER death. Many warnings of the dangers in this life, few warnings of  death without Christ. You are going to die. Then what?  I trust Jesus with my soul, and I trust him with my life. 

 

 

No comments: