Sunday, June 20, 2021

Listen to Dad

Here are a few thoughts I had about dads and the book of Proverbs. Happy Father's Day. 

The phrase, "My son," is found over 20 times in the book of Proverbs. Several of those instances are the author pleading with his son to listen to him and to remember what he said. For example, "My son, hear the instruction of thy father," and  "My son, forget not my law," to name a few. This brought a smile to my face, because 2,990 years ago in Jerusalem, there was a dad who was repeating himself to his son, teaching the same thing over and again. People never change. And, there was probably a son who, at least in his heart, was thinking, "I know Dad."  The Bible reveals the thoughts and intents of our  hearts. It doesn't need to be updated for the times, because it shows us human nature. Fathers, read and apply the book of Proverbs to your children.

In Proverbs 4:1-5, Solomon tells his son the story of his childhood. He was, "my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother." We know all about David's  troubled family life in his later years, but it wasn't all bad. Notice the relationship Solomon had with David. He was his father's son. Solomon felt like he was the only and beloved son because of the affection and love David gave Solomon, like he was the only son. But we know that David loved his other children too, and deeply, by reading the heartbreaking words of David in 2 Samuel 18:33, "O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!”

David taught Solomon the Bible and applied it. "Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.  Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth."  Solomon is a dad instructing his son, and remembering what his father said to him. Just because your parents did or said something doesn't make it right. Many fathers pass on generational sins to their children by word or example. There are many people who come from a long line of fools and are proud to live out their family tradition. Solomon was passing down wisdom. He took God's Word and applied to. He's teaching his son how to walk in the fear of the Lord. Let the Bible be your family tradition.

Not only did Solomon teach his son wisdom, but he had to undo the bad influences from the world. Proverbs 19:27, "Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge." People never change. There always has been, and  always will be bad influences and dumb philosophies that steer kids in the wrong direction.  Whether it comes from another kid, a movie, or a song, a dad has to protect his children. Stop listening to people who lead you to do wrong. We would save ourselves from a world of hurt if we would listen to wisdom instead.


No comments: