Friday, October 14, 2022

Don't Quit



Every pastor, at some point or another, has thought about quitting and doing something else besides pastoral ministry. Several years ago, I was going through a rough time, and I was depressed, discouraged, and on the verge of quitting the ministry. A friend invited me to a conference where Alistair Begg was preaching. Alistair is a fairly famous preacher out of Cleveland, OH. I had listened to Alistair on the radio for years and was always blessed by hearing that Scottish accent bring the Word. But, to attend the conference, you had to buy a ticket, which I couldn't afford. The meeting was for pastors, and during the day, there were continuing education preaching workshops.

With the ticket came a bundle of books worth more than the cost, but still, I couldn't afford it. I emailed the church, told them my situation, and asked if I could come and sit in the back and if there weren't enough seats, I'd stand. I got a quick reply that they would be happy if I came and heard the preaching. It was the largest church building I'd ever been in. The platform where the pulpit sat and the musicians played could probably have held 100 people. Alistair preached, and it was a true blessing. He preached on the pastoral ministry from I Timothy. I can tell you the text, but I can't remember much of what he said. But the Word worked in my heart that night, and it was just what I needed to help me persevere. I don't think I'd be a pastor today if I hadn't attended that night.

One of the men I came with left before the service started and returned with a stack of books. He asked someone if I could have the books that came with the ticket, and they were happy to give them to me as a gift. I haven't mentioned that it was a historic African American church, and the church's worship service wasn't really what I was used to. I was sitting next to two pastors who were as blessed by the preaching as I was. At the end of the service, we were encouraged to take the hand of the person sitting next to you as we sang and prayed. I'm not a little man, and neither was the African American man beside me. And we both chuckled, grabbed hands, and prayed to our Lord and Saviour as brothers in Christ.

At this low point, the people who made the most significant impact on me that night weren't the famous guys but the ordinary men I fellowshipped with. Seeing other fellow laborers, who shared the same burden as me, who were going back to problems, just like me, and who were looking to Christ for grace in times of need, just like me, lifted me out of the mire. It was the ordinary pastors that don't have any idea what I was dealing with, but their kind, gracious words helped and encouraged me. Pastors, you may forget how valuable your work is when life has you down. You don't know how many people out there are pressing on because of a sermon you preached that you felt like it was the worst ever preached. Keep going. You aren't alone. The Lord is with you and will sustain you. Don't forget, the Lord knows your frame. He died for sinners, but he also died for your failures, pastor. In glory, he won't meet his blood-bought child in Heaven with a scowl on his face. Think of the blessed Lord Jesus and what He did for you, and be thankful to be able to serve Him in His kingdom in even the smallest way. 

1 Timothy 6:11-16  But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.



1 comment:

Pastor in Perry said...

Super encouraging my man. For real tho.