Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Cross, the Crook and the Crown

If there was a list of the most well known passages of scriptures, Psalm 23 would have to be toward the top of the list. Even people who don’t have a clue what it means know the psalm, or at least have heard it often enough. Truly a beautiful Psalm. Psalm 23 is really part two of a three part Messianic Trilogy. Many of the Psalms are Messianic Psalms, meaning simply, they are about the Messiah; they are Jesus Psalms. They are prophecies, praises, and promises of the coming Messiah.

I was reading a book by BH Carroll, and he mentioned that he preached a message on the Cross, the Crook and the Crown. I looked but I couldn’t find that message he preached (it sounded like a good one) but I did like that title, so I used and adapted his title in my message this morning: The Cross, the Crook and the Crown. The three psalms tell a story of our blessed Saviour.

I. The Cross of the Good Shepherd (Psalm 22/John 10:11)
II. The Crook of the Great Shepherd (Psalm 23/Hebrews 13:20)
III. The Crown of the Chief Shepherd (Psalm 24/I Peter 5:4)

No comments: