Thursday, February 25, 2010

Apples of Gold


.
I found this quote to be quite amusing. From B.A. Ramsbottom's biography on Christmas Evans.

The Welsh, though loving their preachers, for the most part, did not take care of their physical needs. Christmas Evans, a powerful Welsh Baptist was content with his poverty. On one occasion, he did speak his mind. After he had given a sermon, his hearers informed him that he would be recompensed at the resurrection. To which Evans offered the following reply.

“Yes, yes, no doubt of that; but I have to live till I get there. And what of my poor old white horse that needs to be fed now? For my horse there will be no resurrection!”



In Austin Phelps Theory of Preaching he gives a caricature of the sometimes "offensively elaborate" preface given to texts, merely to take up time.

"You will find the particular passage of the Sacred Scriptures to which it is my present purpose to invite your earnest attention on this solemn occasion, in that most interesting and impressive description of the most blessed of the virtues, recorded in the First Epistle of St. Paul to the Corinthians, in the thirteenth chapter, the first verse, the last clause of the verse, and expressed in the following language; to wit, 'I am become as sounding brass'."



________________________________________________________


Douglas Newell IV

No comments: