Sunday, November 8, 2009

Read Your Bible

2009 is winding down, and I am almost through the yearly bible reading plan. My plan is not very sophisticated; it consists of starting Thanksgiving weekend rather than January 1st, and reading the Bible. For some reason, starting the plan on January 1st always gave me a feeling of impending failure. I know 12 months is 12 months, but in my mind, when I am 5 weeks into the plan on January 1st I don’t have that sneaking feeling hanging over my head.


Is it wrong to have a reading plan? Of course not. Personally, I am not a fan of the schedules that go back and forth, here a chapter and there a chapter, but that is just me and my personality. When I am in the middle of an account in the Old Testament, I don’t' like to leave in the middle.

I am sure there will be those that oppose such a plan as being legalistic and not very spiritual; however having no plan at all results in never reading the Scriptures through. Sure, a plan is rigid, but isn't that the point? A plan is not a master, but it serves us, keeping us on track. Sermon outlines are not the message, but a guide. They shouldn't be the master behind the pulpit but a help to get us to get where we want to go. When I go and preach at different churches, I go with a message I feel the church needs to hear, one that the Holy Spirit has impressed upon my heart. Even though I trust that I am going to do a spiritual work, I still use my GPS to get me to the building.

Along those lines, what would be the cure for reading the Bible for the wrong reasons? The Holy Spirit’s direction in the Word. You may start the reading because it is time to read, but the Word of God is quick and powerful.

Is it wrong to want to read through the Bible in the year? No, you could do it three times a year if you wanted or maybe once in two years. The point is READ YOUR BIBLE! The goal for yearly reading is set up because it is very easily manageable, if you read your bible every day. Even a very slow reader can read four chapters a day in 20 minutes.

Reading is not a substitute for study. We are commanded to study to show ourselves approved unto God, but it is difficult to study that which we are unfamiliar with. I believe that there are three different types of reading.

1. Reading the bible
2. Devotional reading
3. Study

Each is necessary, each has its place, and none can substitute for the other.

Whatever your plan, read your bible. There is no trick to it, you just have to do it, pick the Bible up, open to page one, and start reading. If you have never read all the way through your Bible, pray that God will help you and prepare to embark on a life changing spiritual journey.

No comments: