Sunday, November 14, 2010

Monday Morning QB



  • Now I'm conflicted. First President Obama. And then Oprah too?


  • On the sports scene, on Thursday, the Boston Celtics beat the Miami Heat; again. I think it is interesting that will all the hype around Lebron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, they still can't beat the Celtics. The Celtics are an older, veteran team that plays good team basketball. Sometimes it is better to have a good cohesive group than to have several talented individuals.


  • If you are going to say something controversial, and say it in a combative way, don't be surprised if people get upset.


  • I received a book in the mail this week, but I don't know who bought it for me. So if you are reading it, thanks!


  • After a lot of thought, I deactivated my Twitter account this week. I had really gotten into using it and I did find a lot of redeeming value in the applications when it came to businesses and ministries sending out devotional links. But I felt like there were more problems than benefits. One, too much snark. I like a good one-liner as well as the next guy, but there is only so many snide comments you can take before it starts to affect you. Secondly, I didn't really know most of the people I was following and who were following me. Those are not real relationships and it doesn't make a good substitute. Finally, I was getting SO MUCH information, links, news, updates, but at the end of the day, when I thought about what I read, it was all pretty much useless information and I would have been better served reading a book than a poorly phrased quote in 140 characters or less.


  • A couple of albums to be excited about if you are a Bluegrass fan. Two digitally remastered albums by Del McCoury and the Country Gentlemen. You can read about it here.


Sunday morning I preached from II Kings 5:1-5 on "A little girl who saved a general." She was a godly little heroine. We studied her faith, her compassion and her influence. I believed the Lord blessed.

Sunday evening I preached on day 5 and 6 of creation. It is a awe-inspiring study considering the Biblical account of creation.

Lord willing, we will continue our study Wednesday night on "Things Paul was thankful for."

And to sing us home, a beautiful Stephen Foster song sang by Allison Krauss with some classical accompaniment.


Douglas Newell IV

No comments: