Friday, November 27, 2015

How C.H. Spurgeon Killed a Man

From the book "The Life Of Charles Haddon Spurgeon" by Charles Ray:

"Little Charles, not yet  six years old, had witnessed the grief of the good old minister over the inconsistent conduct of one of his flock, a man who frequented the village inn, drinking and smoking among ungodly companions. One day the boy astonished his grandfather by declaring "I'll kill old Roads, that I will!” The pastor reproved the child, telling him that if he did anything wrong, he would be taken by the police. But the child, very serious and very much in earnest, repeated that he would kill old Roads, though he would not do anything wrong. The grandfather was puzzled, but he let the subject drop and it passed from his mind.

Shortly afterwards, however, the child came into his grandfather's room, saying, “I’ve killed old Roads, he'll never grieve my dear grandpa anymore."

“My dear child," said the minister, in some alarm at the boy's serious tone, “whatever have you done ? "

“I haven't been doing any harm, grandpa," he replied. “I’ve been about the Lord's work, that's all." And from the child nothing further could be elicited.

The mystery was cleared up by old Roads himself, who called upon the pastor, and with a shamefaced air told how he had been “killed." “I was a-sitting in the public, just having my pipe and mug of beer," he said, " when that child comes in to think an old man like me should be took to task and reproved by a bit of a child like that!

Well, he points at me with his finger, just so, and says, ' What doest thou here, Elijah, sitting with the ungodly? And you a member of a church and breaking your pastor's heart. I'm ashamed of you! I wouldn't break my pastor's heart, I'm sure.' And then he walks away. Well, I did feel angry; but I knew it was all true and I was guilty; so I put down my pipe and did not touch my beer, but hurried away to a lonely spot and cast myself down before the Lord confessing my sin and begging for forgiveness. And I do know and believe the Lord in mercy pardoned me; and now I've come to ask you to forgive me and I'll never grieve you any more, my dear pastor."


 It was Charles Haddon Spurgeon's first mission, and was attended with the wonderful success which resulted from his great efforts in after life. The backslider's restoration was evidently genuine and lasting, for Mr. Houchin, the Rev. James Spurgeon's successor at Stamboume, declared many years afterwards that Thomas Roads was “an earnest and zealous Christian, striving to be useful in every way possible to him, especially in the prayer meetings and among the young people; opening his house for Christian conversation and prayer."

No comments: