Friday, December 25, 2009

A Child of the King

My former pastor, Joe Wilson, who has since gone home, used to sing this song, and it brings back fond memories of Bro. Joe, my childhood and the Calvary Baptist Church, but most of all the truth of the song. God Bless.

A Child of the King

One day a prince was riding through the forest near the castle were he lived. In the distance he heard the sound of a wood-chopper, busily engaged in the task of chopping wood. Farther down he hear the sound of singing, he rode and listed to see if he could tell what was being sung. As he listened, this is what he heard.
My Father is rich in houses and lands, he holdeth the wealth of the world in his hands! Of rubies and diamonds, of silver and gold, His coffers are full, He has riches untold.

I’m a child of the King, a child of the King, with Jesus my Saviour, I’m a child of the King.

The prince rode on through the forest and came to the clearing where the wood-chopper was working. He stopped, dismounted and said to the wood-chopper "I do no see how you can claim to be the child of a king. To be a child of the King you must be born into the family of the King, such as myself. You, well you are the son of a poor wood-chopper, just like yourself. How then can you claim to be the child of the King" To this, the wood-chopper made the following reply.
I once was an outcast stranger on Earth, A sinner by choice, and an alien by birth; But I’ve been adopted my name’s written down, An heir to a mansion, a robe and a crown.

I’m a child of the King, a child of the King, with Jesus my Saviour, I’m a child of the King.

The prince the said to the wood-chopper "I still do not see how you can claim to be the child of the King. Children of Kings live in palaces, like in the one such as I live, and you live in a little cottage in a clearing in the woods. With a wood-chopper for a father, a cottage for a home, How can you pretend to be a child of the King?" To this , the wood-chopper made the following reply.
A tent or a cottage why should I care, they’re building a palace for me over there; Tho’ exiled from home, yet still I may sing: All glory to God, I’m a child of the King

I’m a child of the King, a child of the King, with Jesus my Saviour, I’m a child of the King.




_________________________________________________________________


Douglas Newell IV

3 comments:

lewisk said...

As a kid I was greatly blessed to sit under this man's ministry. I remember well, Bro Joe Wilson singing this song. It was always a highlight of Bible Conferences, and a joy to my little impressionable mind.
Thanks for posting this.

doug4 said...

Once upon a time I had the audio. I copied it from that tape.

doug4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.