Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Energy of a child

I am reading "Spiritual Depression" by D.M. Lloyd-Jones, which I am finding very helpful. He gave an example that I confess, I really had not thought about before. I'll paraphrase. He saw a young child bounding out of the house, jumping and skipping down the drive as children do, and there, followed Mother, walking out the door. He noted most would say that the child had more energy, but in fact, the mother does.

I confess, as the father of four young boys, I objected immediately. As I read the words, my boys were running through the house wrestling and fighting with their Nerf swords. But I thought about it, and perhaps he is right. My children are full speed ahead, throttle wide open from the time they wake up, until NAP TIME, then the same until their 8 pm bedtime. They cannot keep up the wide open pace. However, their mother and I work all day, while they nap and while they are asleep for the night. The have youthful enthusiasm for life, not more energy.

Think about it.

_________________________________________________________________

Douglas Newell IV

No comments: