Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Quotes of the Week

"I am more deadly than the screaming shell from the howitzer. I win without killing. I tear down homes, break hearts, and wreck lives. I travel on the wings of the wind. No innocence is strong enough to intimidate me, no purity pure enough to daunt men. I have no regard for truth, no respect for justice, no mercy for the defenseless. My victims are as numerous as the sands of the sea, and often as innocent. I never forget and seldom forgive. My name is Gossip."
From the MacArthur Commentary on James, quoting Morgan Blake.


"A man who does not forgiver another does not know forgiveness himself"
D.M. Lloyd-Jones from The Sermon on the Mount.



"It is thought to be unloving and unkind to hold people responsible for their sins. But that is a cheap grace that is not just and is not merciful, that offers neither punishment nor pardon for sin. And because it merely overlooks sin, it leaves sin; and the one who relies on that sort of mercy is left in his sin. To cancel justice is to cancel mercy. To ignore sin is to deny the truth; and mercy and truth are inseparable, that are "met together" (Ps. 85:10). In every true act of mercy, someone pays the price. God did, the Good Samaritan did, and so do we."

John MacArthur, Commentary on Matthew

"Some people are so busy being clever that they don't have time enough to be wise." Thomas Sowell

Douglas Newell

No comments: